Guidelines for course design
- All courses and workshops need to be co-produced.
- Courses and workshops need to be recovery focused – hope, opportunity, control
- The courses/workshops should assume no previous knowledge of a subject and should include recent best practice and evidence.
- Is there potential for individuals to become distressed – is there space for debrief?
- Identify the skills and knowledge you would like the students to come away with.
- Does the course/workshop offer further opportunities or does it signpost?
- Brief examples of your own lived experience may inspire students and validate hope.
- Encourage self management and reinforce coping strategies.
- Does it enable people to focus on their strengths?
- Reference should be made to peer support both giving, receiving and seeking to decrease isolation and increasing a sense of purpose.
- Language should be clear and limited use of jargon and acronyms.
Page last reviewed: 24 June, 2021