Who’s who at CAMHS?

The CAMHS team is made up of different mental health professionals with specialised skills and expertise. You might see one member of the team on their own or several of them.

We will work with you to agree what support and treatment is best for you.

These are some mental health professionals who could be in your team.

Art Therapist

A therapist who uses a form of psychotherapy using art media as its primary mode of communication.

Care Coordinator

The person who is the organiser of your care, and often a main point of contact for you and your family/carers.

Clinical Psychologist

Clinical Psychologists help people with the way they behave and the way they feel and think about things.

Family Therapist

A therapist who helps families to make changes by working with all or parts of your family, listening to different perspectives.

Learning Disability Nurse

A nurse who specialises in working with children and young people with learning disabilities, and their families/carers.

Occupational Therapist (OT)

A therapist who uses play and other activities to understand and help with feelings and worries.


A doctor with specialist training in child and adolescent mental health. They are also trained in prescribing medications used within CAMHS. The consultant has overall medical responsibility.


A professional who has specialist training in psychoanalytical approaches to the treatment of mental health problems in you and your family.

Registered Mental Health Nurse (RMN)

A nurse with specialist knowledge of mental health, who works directly with you, and your family/carers.

Senior Mental Health Practitioner

A social worker, registered mental health nurse or occupational therapist who may work with you individually.

Social Worker

A professional with specialist training in child development, family relationships, safeguarding children and child welfare issues, employed by the health service and local authority to work in health.

Speech and Language Therapist

Speech and language therapists provide life-changing treatment, support and care for children who have difficulties with communication, eating, drinking and swallowing.

Support Worker

A person who works directly in supporting you and your family/carers.


We have teaching responsibilities which means that nursing, medical, social work, psychology or occupational therapy students may be present at your interview; if you are not happy with this, please let us know before you arrive – it will not affect your treatment in any way.

How do you rate this page?

Thank you for your feedback

Follow us on social media!

We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!

Follow us on social media to stay up to date

Tell us how we can improve this page

Page last reviewed: 2 May, 2024