Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service

Information for Parents & Carers

Helping myself

These FAQs have been suggested by parents and carers in our service who would have found this information useful to have known at the beginning of their CAMHS journey. We’ve worked together to put this information together for you.

Talking to people who you trust about how you are feeling is the best thing to do.

CAMHS also run a group for parents, this is called the parents advisory group, speak to your child’s clinician for more information. You can also request some one to one time either face to face or over the phone with your child’s clinician.

There are counselling services for parent’s and carers you can contact, such as Mind.

CAMHS will always do their best to consult you as much as possible when it comes to your child’s treatment, however they have to do what is best for the child over all ( under 16’s ) however they cannot talk about what has been said within the sessions unless it is of concern.

They must maintain the child’s confidentiality. Sometimes the child may agree to the clinician involving the parent in the sessions.

…what are the top tips for maintaining a relationship with my partner/other people I’m responsible for?

If your relationship is being put under strain during this time, seeking out counselling for the both of you may be what is needed.

You both need to be a mutual support system for each other as well as the child. Stability will also help the child in difficult situations.

If you have a strong communication and understanding of each other than your child will see this and will have a sense of stability.

If you can, share your worries with family, friend or partner so you can get some support in place.

You could book an appointment with your GP to talk through your concerns and they will be able to provide some advice on what you could do next, they might suggest counselling or a referral to an Adult Mental Health Service (Healthy Minds) where they could meet with you or talk over the phone to assess your needs and look at what support would be best suited to you.


You can self-refer yourself to Healthy Minds


You can self-refer yourself to Talking Space Plus.  

It could be beneficial to share information around your child’s mental health needs so they can offer flexibility to you around taking time off for appointments and to support your child’s care.

There is a lot more awareness around mental health now so hopefully employers should be more aware, however if they are not.

You could suggest some websites they could look at to build on their understanding.

It can be very overwhelming if your child is experiencing mental health difficulties, but remember with the right support around you and your child, things will get better and more manageable.

If you are finding it hard to cope and feel that things are falling apart, speak out as support is out there. Let someone know how you’re feeling.

Young minds offer a parent advice helpline where you can speak to someone over the phone about your worries and they will be able to suggest some support you can access.

If your child is under CAMHS, our clinicians will also be able to advise on what support is available to you and your family, so please do let us know.

Good advice

Coronavirus (COVID-19): We are not allowing visitors to any of our hospital or inpatient sites in order to protect our patients and staff who care for them from the spread of COVID-19 (coronavirus). This is with effect from Monday 23 March 2020 until further notice.