Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services

Eating Disorder Service

Information for family and friends

What to expect

If your GP feels that your child has an eating disorder, he/she may refer you to the local specialist eating disorders service, or to your local CAMHS (child and adolescent mental health services) team, but they are likely to stay involved in your care too, helping to monitor your child’s physical health by arranging blood tests and other tests (e.g., an ECG).

While waiting for the assessment you may find it helpful to read one of the recommended books.

Specialist services will usually start by offering you and your child an assessment – this is a chance for the services to meet you and to discuss the concerns.  The aim of the assessment is to get to know you and to talk about your worries so that they can offer the right kind of treatment; they are not looking to judge you or to treat you against your will. 

Last updated: 2 April, 2019

Coronavirus (COVID-19): We are not allowing visitors to any of our hospital or inpatient sites in order to protect our patients and staff who care for them from the spread of COVID-19 (coronavirus). This is with effect from Monday 23 March 2020 until further notice.