Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service


Make a referral

We want to make it as easy as possible to make a referral to CAMHS.

There are a number of ways you can contact us, depending on where you live in the area we serve.

What is a referral?

“Referral” means “to send someone for consultation, review, or further action.”

For example, a GP directing a patient to a medical specialist.

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

For health information and advice, read our article on coronavirus under News.

Important notice

We are anticipating that there may be temporary disruption to our Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services across all regions as a result of the impact of Coronavirus. Our priority is to minimise disruption as much as possible and to keep you updated and informed of any changes to service delivery. 

If you are currently open to CAMHS or making a referral, please be aware of the following: 

  • There could be some temporary changes in how we deliver our services. For example, some of our patients may be seen by video call or over the phone instead of face-to-face. A clinician will contact you to update you on the situation and to plan for your circumstances.  If you have any questions, please contact your care coordinator by phone.   
  • Please follow the latest national guidelines here and the regularly updated COVID-19 symptoms and stay at home advice here.  

It is very important that you do not attend appointments if the guidelines instruct you to self-isolate or if you, or your household, have symptoms of COVID-19. 

Please contact us by phone (see our contact us section for your area) and avoid sending us paper referrals as these may not be being checked regularly. 

Online referral

If you live in Buckinghamshire, Bath and North East Somerset or Wiltshire, you can ‘self-refer’ to the service using our online referrals form.

Note that the online self-referral service for individuals and families is not currently available in Oxfordshire or Swindon. If you would like to talk to CAMHS directly then please ring 01865 902515 (Oxfordshire) or 01865 903422 (Swindon). Professionals can still use the online form.

The online referrals system is for routine referrals only. If you need help urgently, see “It’s a crisis!”

It's a crisis!

If it’s an life-threatening emergency, phone 999. This is if your child’s life or the life of another child or young person is at immediate risk.

If it’s not a 999 emergency, you can dial 111 if you need help fast.

Do not use our online referrals form for urgent help.

Getting help where you are

Please use the online referral form above. 

See our detailed referral page for healthcare professionals.

Or for some advice on how to get support phone Buckingshamshire CAMHS on 01865 901951

You can access our services by calling 01865 902515 during normal working hours.

Our address is:

Oxon CAMHS Single Point of Access (SPA)
Raglan House
23 Between-Towns-Road

See the Swindon Borough Council website for detailed information on how you can access services designed to support the emotional wellbeing of children and young people. 

Please use the online referral form above. 

Other ways to get help

If you are under 16, there are lots of ways to let CAMHS know that you need help.

You can speak to your GP, School Health Nurse or teacher who can get in touch with us directly by calling our ‘single point of access’.

Any other professional who works with you like a social worker, counsellor or youth worker can also contact the CAMHS ‘single point of access’ telephone number to find out how we can help you.

If you are 16 or 17 years old, you can call into our ‘single point of access’ telephone number. You can call us from 8am to 6pm, Monday to Friday. You will speak to a specially trained member of the team who will ask you some questions and talk to you about how CAMHS can help.

If you would like help in contacting us, you could ask your GP, School Nurse or Teacher who could contact our ‘single point of access service’ on your behalf you if you talk to them. Also, you could get help from any other professional such as a social worker, counsellor or youth worker.

Our adult mental health teams will be able to help. 

What happens next?

If we think we can help you, we will review how quickly you need to be seen for your assessments, which are either standard, emergency or urgent.

If we feel that we are not the right source of help for you we may try to make other suggestions of support which could be useful.

Coronavirus (COVID-19): We are not allowing visitors to any of our hospital or inpatient sites in order to protect our patients and staff who care for them from the spread of COVID-19 (coronavirus). This is with effect from Monday 23 March 2020 until further notice.