Five ways to wellbeing
It’s important we look after ourselves.
That’s why the New Economics Foundation has suggested these useful steps to help with your wellbeing.
Feeling close to and appreciated by other people is important for us and our wellbeing. It also helps us with everyday life.
Communication with people you know or don’t know can be really tricky for people of all ages.
With this in mind, try to do something different today and make a connection.
- Talk to someone face to face instead of sending an email or text
- Speak to someone new, even if it’s just a smile or asking how their weekend was
- Put five minutes aside to catch up with a friend you haven’t spoken with for a while.
Not a sports fan? Don’t worry, exercise doesn’t need to be particularly intense for you to feel good.
Slower-paced activities, such as walking or swimming can have the benefit of making you feel good as well providing some level of exercise.
Give it a go today! Here are a few ideas:
- Head for the stairs instead of a lift
- Walk to or from school, maybe with a friend?
- Try joining a sports team or doing a sports challenge for charity.
- Have a kick-about in a local park
- Do some ‘easy exercise’, like stretching, before you leave for school in the morning
Reminding yourself to ‘take notice’ and be aware of what is taking place around you allows you to make positive choices.
Take some time to think about the good things in your day. Here are a few ideas:
- Think about an achievement from today, no matter how small it may be
- Clear your room or have a sort out
- Take notice of how your friends or family are feeling or acting
Learning new skills can give you a sense of achievement and a new confidence. So why not learn something new today? Here are a few more ideas:
- Sign up for a class or activity like Duke of Edinburgh
- Read a magazine or book
- Download some quiz apps or Sudoku
- Research something you’ve always wondered about
Even the smallest act can count, whether it’s a smile, a thank you or a kind word. Larger acts, such as volunteering at your local community centre, can improve your wellbeing and help you meet new people
Give it a go today!
- Sign up to some volunteering, not only will you gain lots of new skills and meet new people but it will help someone who’s less able
- Ask how someone’s day is or offer a compliment to a friend or family
- Make someone close to you dinner or even just offering a cup of tea.
- Listen to some audio guides to boost your mood.
Page last reviewed: 8 September, 2021