Carers have the knowledge and expertise about the person they care for and therefore should be active and equal partners in the delivery of care wherever possible.
The Triangle of Care outlines six key standards that are designed to make sure families, friends and carers are better involved and informed in the provision of care and supported in their caring role. We are working to ensure these six key elements are embedded in our everyday practice:
- Carers and their essential role are identified at first contact, or as soon as possible afterward.
- Staff are ‘carer aware’ and trained in carer engagement strategies.
- Policy and practice protocols for confidentiality and sharing information are in place.
- Defined post(s) responsible for carers are in place.
- A carer introduction to the service and staff is available, with a relevant range of information across the acute care pathway.
- A range of carer support is available.
Supporting our patients
Having successfully applied the key standards of the Triangle of Care across our mental health services, we achieved the ‘two star’ rating in 2015.
We now want to make sure we are doing the same for those supporting our patients using our physical health services, such as our community hospitals, district nursing and therapy teams.
For more information about Oxford Health’s work with the Triangle of Care, please email us.