Voice disorders

The Ear, Nose and Throat Clinical Guidelines: Hoarseness (Dysphonia) state that “individuals with hoarseness lasting for greater than three weeks should be referred to a specialist for investigation of the cause” (Stachter et al., 2018).

If you are concerned, contact your GP to refer them for assessment by an Ear, Nose and Throat (ENT) specialist.

The following websites have detailed information and advice for parents and professionals.


Page last reviewed: 7 March, 2023