Buckinghamshire Community Eating Disorder Service
Referrals for assessment or treatment can be made by local health professionals including GPs, local Community Mental Health Teams, or other mental health services.
If the person is presenting with significant other mental health difficulties or significant substance abuse, then it is normally expected for them to be assessed by the local Community Mental Health / Addictions team prior to referral.
Urgent referrals for very low weight patients can be made or sent through directly to our inpatient unit, Cotswold House, in Oxford.
We accept referrals for individuals who fulfil one or more of the following criteria:
- Patients who have dropped to a low weight (a BMI of 17.5 and below)
- Patients who are rapidly losing weight, such as more than 1 kg a week for 3 months
- Patients who have bingeing and/or vomiting at least several times a week, for 3 months or more
- Age 18 upwards
Before we assess an individual, a written referral is required to include the following:
- Current eating pattern including the frequency of any restriction, bingeing, purging or over-exercising
- History of eating disorder features
- Current weight and weight history including rate of weight change
- Current height
- Comorbid difficulties (such as anxiety, depression) and current risk of self-harm
- Any previous eating disorder treatment
- Individual’s attitude to referral
- Care Programme Approach status / any other agencies involved
- Individual’s contact information, including telephone numbers
We do not offer treatment for obesity per se, but we will assess and consider treating eating disorders in patients with a high BMI such as Binge Eating Disorder.
Referrals can be posted or faxed to us on 01865 261727.
We are always happy to discuss a potential referral by telephone on 01865 901091.
For further information or discussion, please ring on 01865 901091.
Last updated: 15 April, 2019