Your rights as a reader
- To access the Library collections 24/7 access
- To use the study space and equipment provided.
- To borrow materials, except those designated for reference only.
- To reserve items on loan.
- Full members (Staff status) may use the Document Delivery (Interlibrary Loan) service to obtain items not held by the Library.
- To expect the Library to provide up-to-date guides to its services and regulations.
- To expect that on joining the Library to be made aware of the services available.
- To contact the Library in person, by telephone or by email for information, help and advice on all aspects of Library services.
- To expect suggestions, comments and complaints to be acted on.
- To expect to be treated with courtesy and respect.
- To expect that your personal information in the Library records remains confidential
See our Service standards for further details.
Readers should be familiar with and abide by Library Rules of membership (see below).
Rules of membership
All readers agree to abide by the following rules as a condition of membership of the Oxford Health Libraries:
- To notify the library of any change to your work address
- Borrowed items must be returned promptly by the due date, or sooner if requested by Library staff
- Borrowers are responsible for the safe return in good condition of any item borrowed. Any item subsequently lent by a borrower to a third party will remain the responsibility of the original borrower.
- Borrowers must pay any fines or penalties imposed by the Library for loss, damage or late return of any item borrowed, even if subsequently lent to a third party
- Borrowers must pay any fines or penalties imposed by the Library for loss, damage or late return of any item borrowed on their behalf through the Interlibrary Loan Service
- Use all Library stock and equipment including books, journals, photocopiers, computers etc. in a responsible manner
- Respect the right of other Library users to quiet study within the Library (please note this includes keeping mobile phones on silent, unless on call)
- Refrain from removing from the Library any reference item or journal issue except with the express permission of a member of the Library staff
- Refrain from defacing Library materials e.g. by writing notes, underlining, tearing out pages, etc.
In addition the following points should be noted:
- Food and drink (except bottled water) are not allowed anywhere in the Library except with the Library staff’s permission.
- Security of Library stock and equipment and personal safety of Library users must be maintained by taking due care when using the libraries out of staffed hours.
- Security of personal possessions is the responsibility of the owner valuables should not be left in the Library unattended.
- Users photocopying Library materials must conform to current Copyright Regulations as summarised on the posters displayed in the Library.
- Also available to download here:
Page last reviewed: 12 October, 2022