“Primary and Community Care Training Hubs are vital to our future education and training plans. Training Hubs are well placed to support the ambitions and workforce needed for Primary Care Networks and Integrated Care Systems.”
— Prof Simon Gregory, Deputy Medical Director for Primary and Integrated Care,
Health Education England
Watch the HEE animation to find out more about primary care training hubs and how to access them.
Primary and Community Care Training Hubs are networks of education and service providers (NHS and non-NHS) based in the community. They aim to provide an opportunity to meet the educational needs of the multi-disciplinary primary care team, bringing together NHS organisations, community, local authorities and education establishments. Training Hubs will be a key resource for Primary Care Networks, delivering ‘place-based’ education, training and workforce development of the wider NHS primary care workforce at undergraduate and postgraduate levels and at all stages of a NHS professional’s career in primary care.
The New Roles in Primary Care National Toolkit has been developed to enable Training Hubs to support workforce planning collaboratively with Primary Care Networks (PCNs) towards the development of the Primary Care workforce, as outlined in the GP Contract. The Toolkit outlines the roles, training and funding opportunities for all new roles in Primary Care.
Training Hubs across Thames Valley
There are currently four designated Training Hubs across Thames Valley working across the BOB and Frimley Integrated Care Systems. These are:
- Bucks Training Hub (contact Kudzai.firstname.lastname@example.org) in BOB ICS
- Oxfordshire Training Hub (contact email@example.com) in BOB ICS
- Berkshire West training hub (contact Darren.firstname.lastname@example.org in BOB ICS
- East Berkshire Training Hub has merged with others across Frimley ICS to form the Frimley Training Hub which now serves Ascot, Bracknell, Farnham, Maidenhead, North East Hampshire, Slough, Surrey Heath and Windsor (contact email@example.com) in Frimley ICS
Training Hubs across Wessex
The Wessex Training Hubs working across the Hampshire and Dorset STPs are based around the existing GP education network offices in:
- Winchester (mid Wessex)
- Southampton and New Forest
- Portsmouth and Isle of Wight
Each locality has a ‘learning environment lead’ (LEL) – a healthcare professional who will lead and support the development of the Training Hub. The special interests of the LELs will reflect the four areas of:
- Registered Nurses
- Allied Health Professionals
- Clinical Pharmacists
- Bands 1-4 (non-registered workforce)
Last updated: 15 January, 2021