Business and management
Thinking about money
Some resources to help clinicians and other non finance staff understand NHS finances.
- The Association of Independent Specialist Medical Accountants (AISMA) have published a guide on the basics of GP accounting, which is available on the Practice Index website. Explaining the GP practice accounts (June 2020) is a 10 part tutorial outlining the basic principles of accounting and how they apply to GP practices.
- Healthcare Finance – A Basic Overview for Clinicians is an e-learning module from eLfH available to all NHS staff.
- Future Focussed Finance(FFF) aims to support those working in finance in the NHS at every level, but also those they work with day to day including clinical teams and other colleagues. See:
- Behind the numbers: NHS finances– an explanation from the Nuffield Trust
- The Kings Fund Finance Hub including
- Understanding NHS financial pressures: how are they affecting patient care?
- QMR – Quarterly Monitoring performance report
Learning resources around businesses skills
NHS Skills Development Network
The Skills Development Network operates across all NHS organisations in England, providing the infrastructure for improving leadership and professional development skills, raising standards and sharing best practice through economy wide learning. Activities include
- Professional Education and Qualifications
- Lifelong Learning and Continuing Professional Development
- Sharing best practice
ACAS Learning Online
Free modules to build knowledge and improve our approach to employment relations issues (including equality and diversity and performance management).
Revamped in 2017, Businessballs is a free collection of business and management resources, with courses on leadership, delivery management, management and operational management. Includes a collection of free resources including training templates, resources and tools.
Hyper Island toolbox
Another collection of resources supporting team collaboration, self leadership and innovation.
Last updated: 12 March, 2021