Developing the primary care workforce
Published: 1 November, 2014
The NHS Confederation argues that workforce planning and modelling assumptions in primary care need to incorporate new, emerging and more sustainable models of primary care. They make a series of recommendations which impact on training and CPD:
- Focus the approach to workforce planning, and the education and training strategy beyond, around achieving population health outcomes
- ensure that the health and social care workforce is trained in self-care and self-management.
- Focus on and support the development of alternative medical roles in general practice, such as physicians’ assistants.
- Develop the GP training curriculum to include health economics
- Create more opportunities for inter-professional learning
Read the briefing here: Not more of the same: ensuring we have the right workforce for future models of care
Last updated: 1 November, 2014