The library can conduct literature searches for library members, if you cannot access the databases you need or have insufficient time to do your own search. This service is primarily available for clinical need and work-related research. It is not available to students, although help in searching databases will be offered.
If you would like the library to conduct a literature search for you, go to the bottom of this page and complete the form as indicated.
Self-help guides and Information skills training opportunities
We’ve compiled a list of useful tools below which can help you improve your literature searching skills including the NEW STEPS e learning modules developed by librarians for NHS staff and students.
Literature Searching Protocols/Search strategy
- Literature Searching Protocols 2019 Literature Searching Protocols 2019 Appendix
- Search strategy template
STEPS e learning for health care literature searching modules
- Literature Searching STEPS modules: https://www.e-lfh.org.uk/programmes/literature-searching/ These e learning modules are designed to help the healthcare workforce (clinical and non-clinical) build confidence to search published literature for articles and evidence relevant to their work, study and research. The modules are short (each taking no more than 20 minutes to complete) and may be ‘dipped into’ for reference, or completed to obtain a certificate. There are modules suitable for novice searchers and those wishing to refresh their knowledge:
- Module 1 Introduction to searching
- Module 2 Where do I start searching?
- Module 3 How do I start to develop a search strategy?
- Module 4 Too many results? How to narrow your search
- Module 5 Too few results? How to broaden your search
- Module 6 Searching with subject headings
- Module 7 How to search the Healthcare Databases (HDAS)
The following animations are available to help you apply OR/AND in your searches.
Follow this link for FAQs about the modules.
Healthcare Databases online guides
You can also contact one of our Outreach Librarians to discuss your training needs and request support:
Training by OHFT Librarians
- Training Courses: available on demand and by arrangement to assist with planning and carrying out literature searches.
To request a search complete the online form or download it from link below, and send to the library:
Priority will be given to searches supporting an urgent clinical need. Please note that we require a minimum of 10 working days for a full search service. Deadlines may need to be negotiated during periods of high demand. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for confirmation of receipt of urgent requests.
Priority will be given to searches supporting an urgent clinical need.
Please note that we require a minimum of 10 working days for a full search service. Deadlines may need to be negotiated during periods of high demand. Please email email@example.com for confirmation of receipt of urgent requests.
Literature search request form
Last updated: 25 June, 2020