Thames Valley Forensic Service offer specialist assessment, treatment and management of patients with a primary diagnosis of mental illness or learning disability and who are liable to be detained under the Mental Health Act (1983).
The service supports those who cannot be safely managed in other mental health settings and therefore require care and treatment within a secure mental health service.
How to make a referral
A referral should meet any of the following inclusion criteria:
- Risk assessment and management where there are concerns about current risk of harm to others.
- Suitability for admission to low, medium or high secure.
- Forensic community working.
The following exclusion criteria for referrals apply:
- Referral for diagnosis and management of difficult to manage cases where there is little or no evidence of current risk of harm to others.
- No offending behaviour involving risk of harm to others is present. However, referrals will be accepted when criminal charges are pending where there is evidence of current risk of harm to others.
- Referral to the local PICU or locked rehabilitation unit has not been considered and/or assessed where admission to low security is requested.
- Patient has not been seen by a Consultant Psychiatrist in the last 1 month.
- This form should be completed in full.
- Documentation requested at the end of the referral form (point 6) must be provided.
- The urgency of the referral should be stated. In cases of extreme urgency, telephone contact should be made with the on-call Consultant within either Dorset Health, Southern Health or Oxford Health.
- Failure to include the relevant information in the referral papers will lead to delay in the referral being processed.
- All referrals where further information has been requested will be closed within 4 weeks if relevant information is not received.
Once the information is available, we will make every effort to discuss the referral at the next referral meeting which, are held fortnightly.
For enquiries, please contact:
- Contact: Ebenezer Fianko
- Phone: 07786 250 925
- Hours: Weekdays, 9.00am to 5.00pm
Patient flow administrator
- Contact: Michele Gawler
- Phone: 07795 451 040
- Hours: Weekdays, 8.00am to 4.00pm
Page last reviewed: 7 December, 2021