Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Group
What will the group be like?
- It runs for 12 weeks and each session is 2½ hours long.
- It will be a group for people who mainly experience intrusive thoughts or find it difficult to resist the urge to repeat behaviours or check things.
- The group is based on Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), which is an evidence based psychological approach focusing on the links between thoughts, feelings and behaviours.
You will be encouraged to practice these strategies in between the weekly sessions and then reflect on what’s been learnt.
What will the group cover?
- Learn about the nature of OCD such as intrusive thoughts and compulsive behaviours and how this fits together in a common pattern (model) of interactions.
- Understand how making unhelpful appraisals of our thoughts can cause these thoughts to become intrusive and cause behaviours to be repeated.
- Develop strategies to cope with triggers (thoughts/life events), and use behavioural experiments to break the vicious cycle of OCD.
- Learn how to actively prevent relapse back into OCD.
For future dates please click here.
Last updated: 16 April, 2013