NHS invites people 50 and over for autumn boosters and flu jab
Millions of people aged 50 and over can now book their autumn booster and flu vaccines, as the NHS COVID-19 and flu programmes continue to protect the country ahead of winter.
Online and phone bookings are now open to around 12 million people aged between 50 and 64 to book their Covid jabs.
COVID-19 jabs are available at a range of locations including Oxford Health’s centres at the Guttmann Centre in Aylesbury, the Kassam Stadium in Oxford and the Mall in Reading. Other locations including many community pharmacies and GPs are also offering the jabs.
And for the first time, the service will allow some people who are eligible for a flu vaccine to book an appointment online under a new pilot with more than 200 sites across the country.
The public can still book flu vaccinations through their GP practice or by visiting a participating community pharmacy. Please call 119 if you need help.
Oxford Health’s sites in Aylesbury, Oxford and Reading only offer COVID-19 vaccinations.
Those eligible for the flu jab are:
- people aged 50 and over
- those aged between six months and 49 years with a specified health condition
- some secondary school-aged children
- 2 and 3-year-olds
- pregnant women
- primary school-aged children
- those in care homes
- people who are carers, as set out in the Green Book
- frontline healthcare workers
- frontline social care staff who do not have access to occupational health schemes
- household contacts of people with weakened immune systems.
In line with advice from the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation, those eligible for an autumn COVID-19 booster this year include:
- residents in care homes for older adults
- staff working in care homes for older adults
- frontline health and social care workers
- all adults aged 50 years and over
- persons aged 5 to 49 years in a clinical risk group, as set out in the Green Book
- persons aged 5 to 49 years who are household contacts of people with immunosuppression
- persons aged 16 to 49 years who are carers, as set out in the Green Book.
For a full list of pharmacies offering a free NHS flu vaccination, including those not part of the NHS pilot, please visit the nhs.uk website.
Pharmacies are taking appointment bookings for flu vaccination online.
We are sorry you did not find this page helpful
Tell us how we can improve this page
Published: 14 October 2022