The Forensic Community Mental Health Team (FCMHT) provides specialist psychological and psychiatric interventions to assess, treat and manage individuals who, as a consequence of mental illness or personality disorder, have offended, or, present a potential to offend and therefore pose a risk to themselves or others. The aim of the intervention is to maintain and improve mental health, improve the quality of life of service users, and manage the risk of violence or other re-offending.
The roles and responsibilities that each member of the team holds will vary depending on the specific service user, however, general interventions from the FCMHT will include:
- user and carer needs led assessment
- promotion of the service users recovery and helping them to realise their full potential
- assistance with addressing housing/accommodation, benefits and other practical needs
- carrying out the care co-ordinator role within the care programme approach
- psychosocial interventions
- In-reach to in-patient wards
- encouraging social re-integration
- specific therapeutic interventions
- risk Assessment and management plans
- liaison with outside agencies (including MAPPA, local Community Mental Health Teams, Court Diversion, Prison in-reach service, Probation, Housing)
- discharge planning.
For the majority of service users, the aim of the FCMHT will be to eventually transfer them to local community teams or their GP where appropriate.
There are five multi-disciplinary geographical teams. Three teams, based on the Littlemore Hospital site cover Oxfordshire & Berkshire. Two teams, based at Marlborough House, Milton Keynes, cover Milton Keynes and Buckinghamshire.
Referrals should be made directly to the appropriate Consultant psychiatrists, with a copy also sent to the FCMHT manager. There is no specific referral form. However, the referrer will need to provide information regarding mental health history, history of offending or challenging behaviour, CPA plans and a summary of the reason for the referral.
We are sorry you did not find this page helpful
Tell us how we can improve this page
Page last reviewed: 16 August, 2017