We are a small specialist community-based service, providing physiotherapy for people living with a long-term neurological condition. We emphasise enabling people and those supporting them to live well with their neurological condition in their own environment. We work closely with third-sector organisations such as Age UK/Generation Games, local gyms, Oxsrad and condition specific charities.
- Adults over 18 years of age, registered with an Oxfordshire Clinical Commissioning Group GP.
- People with a long term neurological condition eg Multiple Sclerosis (MS), Motor Neurone Disease (MND), head injury, cerebral palsy, Parkinson’s Disease, stroke, spinal cord injury, Huntingdon’s disease, cortico-basal degeneration, or multi-system atrophy.
- People newly diagnosed with a progressive neurological condition such as multiple sclerosis or motor neurone disease.
The physiotherapist assesses the person and works with them and their family/carers to develop a personalised management plan to address their goals. The intervention may be:
- Physiotherapy management, advice and support to maximise independence in all activities of daily life.
- Exercise and education: courses for those with multiple sclerosis (MS active) and Parkinson’s disease (PD active). These are aimed at all abilities including those who are newly diagnosed with either illness.
- Spasticity and postural management to prevent secondary problems and improve comfort in bed and/or in the wheelchair.
- Soft tissue contracture management e.g. hand-splinting.
- Establish exercise/self-maintenance programmes and provision of home exercise programmes.
- Gait assessment, correction and provision of walking aids to improve gait.
- Onward referral for orthoses.
- Training carers and family members in ongoing physiotherapy/exercise/activity programmes.
- Support to access local exercise and leisure facilities e.g. ‘referral to exercise scheme’/swimming/health walks.
What are we unable to do:
- Intervention where a rapid response is required eg chest physiotherapy.
- Rehabilitation following a new neurological event eg stroke.
Our physiotherapists have extensive experience in neurology and keep up to date with evidence-based practice. We have expert knowledge and skills about:
- advanced assessment of complex neurological conditions
- prescribing exercise for neurological conditions
- managing spasticity/post Botox intervention
- managing posture and seating
- splinting and managing of soft tissue contractures
- manual handling for complex neurological problems
Where will we see you?
We make appointments to see patients in:
- Community hospitals.
- People’s own home.
- Local community facilities, e.g. gyms or day centres.
- Digital appointments
You can refer yourself (as can your carer), or your GP or another health care professional can make a referral. Unfortunately there is usually a waiting list of approximately 12-14 weeks.
To make a referral, please send an email to PDPSreferral@oxfordhealth.nhs.uk or telephone 01865 904868. Please include your date of birth and address along with your request.
As well as looking after the patient’s needs our service is here to support the patient’s carers, friends and family. We provide advice and support to help you within your role and help promote your wellbeing. There are many charities and organisations that can support carers, friends and family in a variety of ways. The contact details for some of these organisations are below.
Carers Oxfordshire – https://www.carersoxfordshire.org.uk
Caring for our carers – https://www.oxfordhealth.nhs.uk/carers/support/
Carers UK – https://www.carersuk.org
Family and Carer Befriending dedicated phoneline – 01865 901012 anytime (befrienders will call you back between 11am and 12pm Monday to Friday.)
Action for Carers Oxfordshire – https://livewell.oxfordshire.gov.uk/Services/2340
Be Free Young Carers – https://www.befreeyc.org.uk
Talking Space Plus – https://www.oxfordhealth.nhs.uk/talkingspaceplus/getting-help/
MS Society – https://www.mssociety.org.uk
MS Trust – https://mstrust.org.uk/
MND Association – https://www.mndassociation.org/
Parkinson’s UK – https://www.Parkinsons.org.uk
Telephone: 0345 050 7666
There is now an abundance of useful online resources you may wish to explore:
There are lots of options for equipment to help you with your mobility, transfers and function. Age UK has a substantial amount of information available online covering small equipment to housing adaptations.
If you require an assessment for equipment/adaptations to help you at home, you can self-refer to Adult Social Services and be reviewed by an Occupational Therapist. You can refer by phone on 0345 050 7666 or online at:
Social Services https://service.oxfordshire.gov.uk/needsassessment
If you wish to rent equipment for a temporary issue the Red Cross has a rental service for wheelchairs and toileting equipment.
Red Cross https://www.redcross.org.uk/get-help
If you wish to return equipment issued to you by the service, please contact our equipment company NRS Healthcare directly on 01869 225420. There is a sticker on the equipment providing you with all the details you should require.
We have strong links with Generation Games at Age UK Oxfordshire. They run a variety of classes with a blend of pre-recorded videos, online classes and hope to return to physical classes across the county.
Moving more is hugely beneficial. Move Together is an Oxfordshire pathway to activity that can support you to move more and provide advice and information to get you started on that journey.
Charitable Support & Information
We work with people with a variety of neurological conditions, each of which often has a charity with advice and information available.
Motor Neurone Disease https://www.mndassociation.org/
Multi System Atrophy https://www.msatrust.org.uk/
Progressive Supranuclear Palsy & Corticobasal Degeneration https://pspassociation.org.uk/
Spinal Cord Injury https://www.spinal.co.uk/
We are sorry you did not find this page helpful
Tell us how we can improve this page
Page last reviewed: 2 May, 2023