Skip navigation

Oxford Health NHS Foundation Trust

Skip to main content Skip to footer Accessibility help

Your care: support and advice       PALS & Complaints      

Making a Formal Complaint

If we haven’t been able to resolve your concerns locally or through PALS, then you may wish to make a formal complaint.  We welcome complaints as a way of learning from people’s experiences and improving our services.

The PALS & Complaints team can give you help, advice and support in making a complaint.  They can put you in contact with local advocacy services who can support your through the complaints process.

[flashvideo file=resources/video/complaints.flv /]

Stage 1: Local Resolution

If you would like to make a complaint, you should do this as quickly as possible.  Usually we will investigate complaints that are:

  • made within 12 months of the event, or
  • made within 12 months of you realising you were unhappy about a specific situation or event

Once we have received your complaint, we will contact you within three working days to discuss your complaint and agree a way forward on how you would like your concerns dealt with.  If we are unable to contact you by telephone, we will acknowledge receipt of your letter in writing.

If you are raising concerns on behalf of someone who has received care from us, then we will need to ask their permission to share with you any confidential and personal information.

We will undertake an investigation into all of the concerns which you have raised.  You will receive a full written response within an agreed timescale and we encourage complainants to attend local resolution meetings to help to resolve concerns at an early stage.

You can either write to the Chief Executive or the Complaints & PALS Manager at:

Stuart Bell Complaints & Pals
Chief Executive
Executive Offices
Trust Headquarters
Warneford Hospital
Warneford Lane
The Whiteleaf Centre
Oxford Health NHS Foundation Trust
Bierton Road
HP20 1EG

Or by e-mailing:

If you feel that you need support in making your complaint, then you can contact SEAP, the NHS Complaints Advocacy Service (NCAS) provider across much of SE and SW England, who will be able to help you. For complaints in Oxfordshire, SEAP can be contacted on 0300 343 5718, or for more information you can click here. You can also email them on: or fax them on 01424 20 46 87.

A member of the PALS & Complaints team would be happy to provide you with a SEAP leaflet if you would like more information about this service.

What if I am still unhappy?

If you are unhappy with the outcome of your complaint, you can ask the Parliamentary Health Service Ombudsman (PHSO) to review this matter.  The Ombudsman will only consider complaints that have already been investigated by the Trust.  You can contact the PHSO by contacting their complaints helpline on: 0345 015 4033 or visiting their website:

Last updated: 13 December, 2017

Home News Sitemap Search Support and advice Getting help Raising a concern Terms and conditions Contact us Access keys
  • Prescribed app

This is a prescribed app. It should only be used alongside a face to face intervention provided by a mental health worker. Check with your local service to see if they subscribe to the app.

Coronavirus (COVID-19): We are not allowing visitors to any of our hospital or inpatient sites in order to protect our patients and staff who care for them from the spread of COVID-19 (coronavirus). This is with effect from Monday 23 March 2020 until further notice.