Helping myself

Who can I talk to?

Talking to people who you trust about how you are feeling is the best thing to do.

CAMHS also run groups for parents. Speak to your child’s clinician for more information.

You can also request some one-to-one time, either face-to-face or over the phone with your child’s clinician.

There are counselling services for parents and carers you can contact, such as Mind.

Do I have any control?

CAMHS will always do their best to consult you as much as possible when it comes to your child’s treatment. However, they have to do what is best for the child over all (under 16s). They cannot talk about what has been said within the sessions unless it is of concern.

They must maintain the child’s confidentiality. Sometimes the child may agree to the clinician involving the parent in the sessions.


If your relationship with your partner is being put under strain during this time, seeking out counselling for the both of you may help.

You both need to be a mutual support system for each other as well as the child. Stability will also help the child in difficult situations.

If you have strong communication and understanding of each other, your child will see this and will have a sense of stability.

Personal mental health

I’m worried about my own mental health. What do I do? Where can I go?

If we think we can help you, we will review how quickly you need to be seen for your assessments.

What happens next

If you can, share your worries with family, friend or partner so you can get some support in place.

You could book an appointment with your GP to talk through your concerns. They will be able to provide some advice on what you could do next.

They might suggest counselling or a referral to an Adult Mental Health Service. They will talk to you to assess your needs and look at what support would be best suited to you.


Self-refer to NHS Buckinghamshire Talking Therapies


Self-refer to NHS Oxfordshire Talking Therapies


It could be beneficial to share information concerning your child’s mental health needs with your employer, so they can offer flexibility to you around taking time off for appointments and to support your child’s care.

For more support, please see these resources:

Why is this happening to me?

It can be very overwhelming if your child is experiencing mental health difficulties. However, with the right support around you and your child, things will get better and more manageable.

If you are finding it hard to cope and feel that things are falling apart, let someone know how you’re feeling.

Young minds offer a parent advice helpline, where you can speak to someone over the phone about your worries. They will be able to suggest some support you can access.

If your child is under CAMHS, our clinicians will also be able to advise on what support is available to you and your family.

How do you rate this page?

Thank you for your feedback

Follow us on social media!

We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!

Follow us on social media to stay up to date

Tell us how we can improve this page

Page last reviewed: 25 April, 2023