Primary Care news
Services to keep you up to date on the latest health news and policy and specialist news bulletins for practice staff.
Health News and Policy
Newspapers, news channels, websites and magazines all pick up on health related items. Some stories originate from medical journals and conferences, others from advertising material. Colleagues, patients and carers may well ask primary care staff about the truth of news stories.
News about the NHS
- Department of Health and Social Care – latest news and publications
- NHS England – sign up for RSS news feed or subscribe to one of the NHS England Bulletins including the Primary Care bulletin
- NICE Newsletters – including Update for Primary Care
- Health management and policy updates – from the King’s Fund
- HSJ News – on health service management and policy (Subscription needed to access the stories)
- Guardian Health – NHS stories in the media
Management and policy updates
This is a fast moving area, with new resources being made available all the time. We welcome your suggestions of resources that could be added to this list. Contact Oxford Health Libraries
Keeping up to date is a huge challenge. Sign up to the bulletins of your choice to stay ahead.
Specialist Primary Care bulletins produced by OHFT Librarians are now available via HEE . To sign up email: email@example.com
Other useful bulletins
Workforce planning and redesign for primary care
About workforce development, education and training
- Education for Primary Care (an academic journal available through NHS OpenAthens)
- Health Education England News
- Leadership blog – from NHS Leadership Academy
- Medical Education Bulletin – a monthly round-up of articles, research, initiatives and policies compiled by the JET Library, MId Cheshire Hospitals NHS FT
Change and innovation in primary care
National bulletins for primary care
These services are targeted specifically at health professionals working in primary care:
- The CASH news service bulletins includes news, publications and research compiled by NHS library services. Find out here how to create an RSS feed on topics of your choice.
- GP online – latest news from the RCGP
- HealthWatch England News
- NHS England Bulletins: Bulletins for AHPs, dentists, GPs and practice team, healthcare leaders and pharmacists.
- Subscribe to the NHS Employers’ RSS news feed
- NICE Update for primary care – guidance and quality standards
- Pulse — news, opinion and CPD and from general practice
- Richard Lehman’s weekly review medical journals – a primary care ‘take’
- Primary Care Update from MacMillan Cancer Support
- Diabetes UK – news and updates for professionals
- Mental health – ebulletin from the Centre for Mental Health
- Mental Health – monthly newsletter from the Mental Health Foundation
- Public Health Bulletin – Fortnightly bulletin compiled by NHS libraries in Thames Valley and Wessex
Using new technologies
- Topol Review The Secretary of State for Health and Social Care commissioned The Topol Review: Preparing the healthcare workforce to deliver the digital future, as part of the draft health and care Workforce Strategy for England to 2027 – Facing the Facts, Shaping the Future. Published in February 2019 makes recommendations that will enable NHS staff to make the most of innovative technologies such as genomics, digital medicine, artificial intelligence and robotics to improve services.
- The Health Education England digital literacy project is about improving the digital capabilities of everyone working in health and social care. The Digital Capabilities Framework consists of six domains and the distinct capabilities that sit within each one. These capabilities are presented at four different levels ranging from basic to expert. The framework is for use by anyone working in health or care.
- Sign up for NHS England’s Digital transformation bulletin.
Be very selective; less is more
Page last reviewed: 16 March, 2022